Content curation is hot topic at the moment with content publishers. Many would argue it’s glorified plagiarism, others would say it’s past the buzz word phenomena and is now a mainstay in the marketers armoury!
I say it is part of the new media rules that have turned traditional or should I say “old fashioned” publishing and journalism on its head. I say old fashioned because new media is fast becoming the tradition and the ones who can’t adapt to the rules will be drowned out by the plague of new media content.
So what is content curation? Have you heard of sites like Huffington Post? They are the giants of curated content!
The easiest way for you to see what content curation is to show you as an example here: Our subject matter is Content Curation Definition. Here it goes:
There you have it…..I have curated content from all the clutter around the web and presented you with content specific to the subject of defining Content Curation.
If you take a look at these definitions you can see there are re-occurring terms such as “discover”, “gather”, “sort”, “present”, “specific theme” etc. To summarise, content curation is simply where a human has gathered various pieces of content regarding a specific area of interest and stored and presented them in one place.
Honestly, it didn’t take me very long to find the information and paste in the links for you to click through to the relevant content.
Why is it valuable to you as a Health and Wellness content publisher?
Firstly, as we know Health and Wellness is one of the most searched for subject areas on the web. There is so much information out there it can be a problem for your readers to find exactly what they are looking for. Your readers perceive you as an expert and value your opinion. Therefore, you can:
- Save your audience time to sift through the web clutter.
- Ensure they get the right information and not the scammy rubbish that exists out there in abundance.
- Present your audience with a different type of reading experience.
- Present your audience with different voices and views to enable your reader to determine their own opinion on the subject matter.
- Be perceived as a gatekeeper of valuable information, which is of course beneficial to your expert status.
- Create list and top 10 style articles.
Secondly, it benefits your content strategy and business by:
- Building relationships with other content publishers in your health and wellness niche by linking to their site.
- Providing your content strategy with a speedy alternative to writing a post when you are working to tight schedules.
- Allowing you to research deeper into your subject area.
Before you go off and start curating to your heart’s content its worth sharing with you some of the disadvantages:
- Unoriginal content – as old fashioned publishers like to argue if everyone curates content there will be no original content. Whilst this is unlikely to ever happen you have to be careful not to alienate your audience because after all, if they have chosen to follow or subscribe to your content it’s because they value your voice and writing.
- Reduce your credibility – this may sound contradictory to the above, but if you over publish curated content it may lead to your readers thinking you do not really know your stuff but more just an expert at searching the internet for information.
- Alienate your “old fashioned readers” – you might want to have think about how many in your readership would loathe you to start curating content and would see it as an insult to their more traditional world of publishing.
In my opinion, if content curation is used wisely and in moderation it can be a very beneficial tactic. Think about how and where you can integrate curated content in to your strategy. Do you have a specific subject area in your health and wellness niche that is hot topic and lots of new content being published daily. Why not curate this content for your readers to make sense of all the jargon?
What about you? Do you have a particular view on Content Curation? Do you think it’s all buzzword and hype or have you any experiences to share highlighting its real value?